Colorado Wedding Planner: How to change your last name after you’re married

Posted by on May 16th, 2015

If you’re not sure about the process required to change your last name after you’ve gotten married, don’t feel bad. Only those who have actually gone through the process do know, and everyone has to start somewhere. Below, we offer you the step-by-step process required for changing your last name after you’ve gotten married.

picture of a marriage certificate

Step 1: Get a Copy of Your Marriage License

If you’ve just recently gotten married, chances are you have a copy of your marriage license on hand. You’re going to need this to show proof that you’ve gotten married in order to change your last name.

Step 2: Start with Your Social Security Card

You’re going to want to start by changing your name on your social security card, which will help you in changing your name on everything else. Visit the Social Security Administration’s website and fill out an application for a name change. You will use your marriage license in combination with the application to prove that you have gotten married.

Step 3: The Department of Motor Vehicles

Once you receive your new social security card, you can take it (along with your marriage license) to the Department of Motor Vehicles and get your name formally changed on your driver’s license or your ID.

Step 4: Financial Accounts

You’re going to want to visit your bank pretty quickly after you receive that new identification with your new name. Your name must match on your ID and your bank accounts in order to access your money, so take your new ID or driver’s license, your new social security card and your marriage license to your bank. Ask them about the process of changing your name on your accounts and get that taken care of.

Step 5: Changing Your Name Everywhere Else

Once you’ve taken care of the first 4 steps, which are the main steps, the rest is fairly easy. You will have all the new identification proof you need to change your name everywhere else. Make sure you consider changing your name to your preferred pharmacy, your doctor’s office, your school or work, your local post office, and any other institution which requires your name in order for you to do business or take care of important necessities.

It’s that easy – although the process usually takes a few weeks, you can get started on it early by filling out an application through the Social Security Administration before you leave for your honeymoon.



Posted in Just Because, Tips from a wedding planner | Tagged , , , , , , |

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *